Tharu community women with munj souvenirs in GLA.
Key AchievementsPolicy and Planning Framework
- Formation of a National Wetland Committee (NWC), an apex body responsible for inter-sectoral coordination to address wetland issues and concerns at national level. The committee is chaired by the Honorable Minister for Forests and Soil Conservation (MFSC) and its members include secretaries from the eight different Ministries and representative from National Planning Commission (NPC) and the Director General of Departments of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation (DNPWC).
NWC has been established as consultative/decision making body for wetland related issues. NWC is supported and assisted by a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), a group of professional from wetland impacting sectoral Ministries and organizations i.e. Forests, Agriculture, Energy, Irrigation, Local Development, Industry, Environment, Tourism, National Planning Commission, DNPWC and DOF. It is further supported by two National Networks; Specialist Network and Indigenous Communities Network that have representation from the government, I/NGOs and private sectors including specialists and wetlands dependent people.
- The Specialist Network, composed of technical officers, scientists and practitioners from across the country, is responsible for species based issues e.g. species action plans and sharing of experiences on wetlands management.
- Review of wetland impacting cross-sectoral policies; such as agriculture, irrigation, environment, industry, energy, local development, tourism and forests to harmonize and integrate wetland issues and concerns into sectoral niches to provide recommendation for revising NWP 2003.
- National Wetland Policy (NWP) 2012 has been prepared based on the review recommendations of sectoral policies.
- National Wetland Policy 2012 was approved by the Government of Nepal on December 14, 2012.
First National Wetland Committee meeting
March 01, 2013
The first National Wetland Committee (NWC) meeting after the approval of the National Wetland Policy 2012 was held under the chair of Dr. K. C. Poudel, Secretary, Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation (MFSC) on February 28, 2013 at MFSC...
Request for Proposal Announced
January 10, 2013
Preparing a draft Wetland Act and Regulation...
Project Site Map
Two Ramsar sites of international importance have been chosen to represent two different ecological systems and geographical locations.Read more